Sunday, January 25, 2009

Under the weather



This week was a very exciting one for us folks in Durham...we got snow! And enough snow to stick. We don't get snow here very often, so when we do everything shuts down. I had a holiday, a snow day, a teacher work day, and I took a sick day this week, so I only worked on Friday! Since I had a terrible cold, which on Thursday morphed into a fever, I was glad for the extra rest.

There was much frolicking in the snow, and general merriment about the extra time off:




So with my cold and the snow, I didn't get as much swimming in as I wanted to, but week four was still pretty productive:

Week 4:
Mon: swim 4500 yds
Tues: run 6 mi
Wed: swim 4300, 40 min abs
Thurs: fever - rest
Fri: swim 3200
Sat: swim 2500, 40 min abs
Sun: swim, 11,000, run 4 mi

Total:
swim 25,500 yds
run 10 mi
80 min abs

On Sunday, my usual swim buddies were at a meet in Charlotte, so I ventured to the Dark Side (Tar Heel territory) to swim at a new pool in Chapel Hill, with my friend Filippo. The pool is very fancy and new, and worth the $6 it costs to swim there.



We ended up doing 110 x 100 yds on 1:30, which ended up being a lot harder that the 100 x 100yds that we did on New Years on the same interval. I believe that the reason for this was threefold: 1) I swam 10% farther today 2) I swam slightly faster (averaging about a 1:18 pace instead of a 1:20 pace) 3) and I had the lane to myself, so I didn't get to draft off of Karen for half of the workout.

After practice, I was starving and grabbed some dinner at the hot bar at whole foods. Now, while I have been trying to lose weight in general (I've lost 5 lbs since New Years! woot woot), I pretty much eat whatever I want after long swims because I figure my body needs the nourishment. I gathered what I wanted from the hot bar and then looked down at my plate with alarm - I had filled it with mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, lakte (potato pancakes) and a few french fries. That's a crazy amount of carbs! Feeling that I needed to balance things out a bit, I added a couple of pieces of bacon as well as a pile of broccoli.
I chose to interpret this carb frenzy as my body's signal that my glycogen supply was zilch and that it wanted it replaced right away.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my Lord Kimberdoo!!! You have a blog! I am now a proud follower... I love da video of da babies in da snow! They are so happy!!

    ReplyDelete