Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy New Year!!

To usher in 2009, my swim friends and I completed our traditional 10,000 New Year swim practice. This may not seem like a fun thing to do after a night of drinking, but it's good luck. Very good luck. Since I don't like black eyed peas, this is one way to ensure a prosperous New Year.

7 of us showed up, at 8:00 am. There was several workouts to choose from, but to get it done as quickly as possible, we settled on doing 100 x 100yds. I swam with my friend Karen and we decided to do the set on a modest interval of 1:30, but to do it without stopping. With my new underwater MP3 player on (a Christmas present from Jason!), the practice was surprisingly painless and we were done in 2.5 hours. So it looks like this will be a lucky year! We had a very tasty brunch at Cracker Barrel afterward.

I also thought that that New Year would be a good time to officially start training for the English Channel. Clearly I have a lot of work ahead of me, but here is what I was able to crank out for week one:

Mon: swim 4400 yds, run 5 mi
Tues: swim 3100 yds in the am, swim 3200 yds in the pm
Wed: rest
Thurs: swim 10,000 yds (New Year practice!)
Fri: swim 3900 yds
Sat: Run 5 mi
Sun: Walk 5 mi

Week 1 total: swim 25,000 yds, run/walk 14 mi

Now on to week 2!

1 comment:

  1. I know you can do it baby! You are my favorite, and I will be behind you all the way!

    ReplyDelete