Tuesday, June 1, 2010

National Championships!

I ventured to Atlanta for my first USMS national championships. Pool swimming's not usually my bag, but Atlanta is so close and we had a fun group going, so I decided to give it a shot.



It was quite the experience! First, I finally met my imaginary boyfriend, Olympic gold medalist Cullen Jones.


After which I crushed my arch nemesis Mark Medendorp in the 500 free.


Now, it may be worth noting that I've been taking a fiction writing class and am learning about different shades of truth. Granted, the above statements might not hold up in the "whole truth, nothing but the truth, so help me God" sense, but they do contain certain nuances of validity.

When I say that I met my imaginary boyfriend Cullen Jones, what I might mean is that I got to meet him vicariously through my friend Jessica. I might have gotten to hear from her all about how tall he is, how nice he is, how handsome he is, etc. This might have sent me into a jealous fit that had me erasing that other broad from the photo and pasting in my own mug. Just a slightly different version of the truth!


And when I say I crushed Medendorp, what I might mean is that he beat me by a solid 11 seconds in the 500, but that I searched his Facebook page for a photo of him looking crushed. See, same thing really!


What doesn't need multiple interpretations is the fact that we all had a very fun time.


As for my goal of getting a lifetime PR: I'm still a ways off from this in my good events (meaning, distance events). However...events that I have always sucked at, I now suck at a little less! Between states and nationals, I've gotten lifetime PRs in the 100 IM, 100 back, and 50 free. Take that, 16 -year-old Kim! Plus, I could totally take you in a cage fight.

Here are my results from the meet:
http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meetsearch.php?c=267530&MeetID=20100520SCCH10Y


No comments:

Post a Comment