Sunday, April 11, 2010

Beaverdam 5280

Saturday was the 1st open water race of the year, the Beaverdam 5280. It is a small race of about 60 people, but very efficient and well organized.

The water temperature was 68, and since it was sanctioned by a triathlon organization, it went by triathlon rules - that meant it was wetsuit legal. I'm not really nuts about wetsuits and haven't raced in one before. But...they give you a huge buoyancy advantange, which translates to faster times (I swam the course in my speedo last year in a 24:17. This year my time in a wetsuit was 20:45. I did get a bit lost on the course last year and I am now swimming faster in general, but 3 and half minutes is a big difference). The wetsuit made the water a lot more comfortable too so I might be a convert - If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! A few people held onto their principles and stuck to their speedos, but the overwhelming majority had wetsuits on.


DAMA cleaned up with awards. Kevin came in 1st overall, and I finished about a minute behind him, 2nd overall and 1st female. Keith came in 3rd out of the men and Teresa, Dawn, and Alicia all placed in their age groups.



Kevin and I setting a good example for the rest of the pack. It is so important to refuel properly after a hard race.


The race was fun, but something serious and disturbing happened afterward. I got flashed! This does not need mentioning, but I am a very innocent, young lady. So you can imagine my horror as the following event unfolds:

As shadowy figure approaches me from the bushes...


She opens her trench coat to expose herself to me...


Curious about the human body, I sneak a peak...
My eyes!!! Yowza!


Of course, by "shadowy figure" I mean Derek's sister Alicia. And by "exposed herself," I mean that she unveiled her decently clad, but very hot, triathlete bod.

Editor's note: Derek did not swim the race this year, but if he had, big sis would have wooped him up good.

2 comments:

  1. Great race Kim. Glad you liked the wetsuit.
    Amie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are funny, girl!

    Saw Derek yesterday and I told him what you said and he's all, "well, yeah, I'm not in great shape." Then he went on a diatribe about wetsuits and how HOT the water was being in the 60's and all. True to form.

    ReplyDelete