Monday, June 1, 2009

NC open water championships





This week was the NC state open water championships in Pinehurst.



They didn't offer a 10K this year, so I entered the 5K and decided to enter the 2K too, to get in some extra yardage. The 5K course was 4 laps around a 1.25km triangle - easy navigating! What I wanted to do more than anything was swim straight and not get lost. So concerned was I with knowing the course that I swam a practice lap before the race!

In order to keep the USMS and USA swimming races separate, we were started in waves. We old folks started 5 min behind the 19 and under boys, and 2 min behind the 19 and under girls. While weaving though packs of swimmers was a little time consuming, it did help with sighting - it's hard to get lost when there are always feet ahead of you! I'm happy to say that I stayed on course and swam relatively straight. I figured out that I tend to veer left when I swim. I made some minor course corrections, but nothing major. I swam hard, holding nothing back for the 2K and ended up getting first out of the masters women.

I cooled down, watched some of the 3K, then warmed up again for the 2K. For this, the course was different - 2 laps, out and back between 2 bouys. I was tired from the 5K, but did not want to swim the next day so I needed to do the extra yardage. Again, the masters started 5 min behind the 1st wave of kids. By the time we started, the kids were near the turn around buoy.

Trying to swim as straight as possible again, I sighted for the 2nd buoy right from the start. Soon, however, I ran into a little problem. The kids had rounded the first buoy and were headed back to the first - straight at us! We were trying to hold the same, straight paths but were going in opposite directions. My priorities shifted from trying to swim as fast as possible to trying to avoid a head-on collision. This was not a freestyle race - it was a head-up freestyle race! I got 2nd out of the masters women, but that's not as impressive as it sounds because there weren't many of us in the 2K.

Now on to more important things...

Meet Yogi - my future training buddy!





Yes, Daisy and Sneakers have a new little brother! Yogi is a Newfoundland, which makes him an excellent swimmer. According to K9 web, "the Newfoundland dog is physically well-suited to swimming, with its webbed feet, thick rudder-like tail, water-resistant double coat and its powerful build, strength and stamina." Welcome to the family Yogi!






Newfies in their natural element

As many of you know, Karen has been an excellent training buddy these past few months, not only keeping me company on long swims, but often pushing me to go farther and faster. Unfortunately, Key West is around the corner and I have been unable to trick Karen into signing up for something else extremely long. That's where Yogi comes in - open water champion of the future!

How do Karen and Yogi match up, you ask? Let's do a comparison:


Swimming fitness

Possesses webbed paws and a rudder-like tail; instinct for the water

Instinct for the water, but no tail of any sort. Shoulder and elbow joints allow for a rounder, more complete stroke

Location flexibility

Is not allowed in public swimming pools. Limited to open water and backyard pools

Enjoys free access to all public swimming areas

Cold water tolerance

Thick coat and extra blubber provide excellent cold water tolerance

Not hairy or blubbery. Better suited for warm climates

Bribeability

Will generally do what you ask in exchange for cookies

There’s a limit to what she will do for cookies. Often requires more complex, time-consuming persuasion techniques

Endurance

Easily distracted; requires frequent naps

Often prefers middle distance but does well during long swims too. Also a fan of naps

Personal hygiene

Frequent crotch sniffing, butt licking

Karen is the clear winner here


As you can see it's a toss-up! Time will tell how Yogi does as a swimming buddy, but he sure is cute and lovable. Welcome home, little bear!

Week 21:
Mon: rest - swim 16,000 yds
Tues: walk 3 mi
Wed: rest - swim 3800, run 3 mi
Thurs: swim 1100 - rained out
Fri: swim 2000
Sat: swim about 11,500
Sun: walk 5 mi
Total: swim 34,400; walk/run 11 mi







No comments:

Post a Comment