Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mama said knock you out!

My mom inspired me, when I went to visit her after the Key West swim. She has been taking spin classes and raving about how great they are. As something different, they have taken her out of her cardio comfort zone. While she still swims, by adding some new exercise she has lost a few pounds, developed some new muscles, and firmed up a tight little toushy. I took a couple of classes with her and saw what she was talking about. Yowza! You can blame it on the Florida humidity, but I hadn't sweat that much in a very long time.
















I liked the idea of mixing things up, but I wanted to find an activity with a little more punch. So I decided to join LA boxing.










I love the workout for a couple of reasons:
1) While I am a mild-mannered speech pathologist by day, I like sports that are a little aggressive. In open water races, I'd much rather swim in a tight pack of aggressive swimmers than swim by myself. And the best thing about punching bags is that they never hit back!
2) Boxing focuses on your arms and core, which directly benefits swimming.
3) My coordination on land is inversely related to my coordination in the water. On land, I run into things and fall down a lot. A little balance and agility work certainly is not going to kill me.


Boxing has been a lot of fun! After doing it for just a week, I'm already feeling stronger and leaner.

Catching up...

The past few weeks have been busy! With Key West, Disney, and a wedding in Boston, it seems like I have been doing more traveling than swimming. I tried to get back on track this week, but I conveniently forgot what time the pool closed on Sunday so I didn't get my long swim in. Oops!

Since I didn't take my swimming log with me when I traveled, I have also been slack about posting my weekly summaries on my blog. So here I am trying to catch up!

Week 25:
Mon: swim 3800 yds, 1 hr kickboxing
Tues: swim 5200, 1 hr boxing
Wed: swim 5700, run 3 mi, 1 hr kickboxing
Thurs: swim 5200, 1 hr kickboxing
Fri: swim 5200, 1 hr boxing
Sat: run 5 mi, walk 1 mi
Sun: swim 7,000 hike 2 mi, run 3 mi
Total: swim 32,100 yds, 5 hr boxing/kickboxing, run/walk 14 mi

Week 24:
Mon: Disney
Tues: Disney
Wed: swim 4200 yds
Thurs: swim 3800, 1 hr spin class
Fri: swim 4500, 1 hr spinning, 50 min kayak
Sat: Boston
Sun: Boston
Total: swim 12,500 yds, 2 hr spin class, 50 min kayak















Rob and Ellen's wedding

Week 23:
Mon: swim 3,000 yds, run 3 mi
Tues: walk 2 mi
Wed: swim 2700, walk 1 mi
Thurs: swim 1700 - rained out
Fri: rest
Sat: Swim Around Key West - about 20,000 yards
Sun: rest
Total: swim 27, 400 yds, walk/run 6 mi

No comments:

Post a Comment