Sunday, February 22, 2009

This is not a sex toy...


No really, it's not!!



It's the Brookstone IGallup, a core exercise machine. I've had my eye on this baby for some time and now that it is majorly on sale I bought one. It's a lot like riding a horse (or so I'm told) and it has different settings so you can go from a trot to a walk to a gallup. You won't get knocked off or knocked up on this machine, but you really do work your core muscles trying to stabilize yourself. It's a painless way to get in some extra core work while watching TV.

Outside of getting the IGallup, week 9 has been a tough week. I've fallen into the pattern of swimming well on Tues, Thurs, Fri, and on my weekendend long swim, and swimming poorly on Mon and Wed (for whatever reason, those are the days my body is most tired). Well, this week began by following the familiar pattern. Except when it came time for my long swim on Saturday, I was so tired that I almost felt sick. For the first time, I was not able to even make it through the swim, and I got out after 9,000 yds, instead of 12,000. I then slept 11 hours, rested most of the day today, and now I'm starting to feel better.

At my ripe, old age of 27, I think it's time I started paying more attention to muscle recovery. My friend Matt has gotten me hooked on drinking chocolate milk immediately after practice (supposedly it has the perfect mixture of milk protein and carbs that your muscles need to refuel, but any excuse to drink chocolate milk, right?) Now I'm going to step it up a notch. I'm trying something called Muscle Milk light, which has only 160 calories but a whopping 20g of protein.
I'm also going to try to stretch every night, in hopes that I may one day be able to touch my ankles.


Week 8:
Mon: swim 4200 yds, 40 min abs
Tues: swim 4900, 10 min core exercise machine
Wed: swim 4800, 10 min core exercise machine
Thurs: swim 4200, 40 min abs
Fri: swim 3200, run 3 mi
Sat: swim 9100
Sun: rest
Total: total swim 30,500, run 3 mi 100 min abs/core work.

2 comments:

  1. Does the core machine really work??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so...I mean, it's not going to give me a 6 pack anytime soon but you get sore if you stay on too long. Plus it's just fun to ride.

    ReplyDelete