Sunday, November 29, 2009

Channel bound...well, not so much


To some this will come as surprise, to others less so. After months of training and a gazillion yards swum, I have decided not to attempt an English Channel crossing. My reasons for this are threefold:


1) I've been rather unsuccessful at finding sponsorship. I have not looked all that aggressively and certainly have not exhausted all my options in this area, so if this were my only reason or even my main reason, I wouldn't let it stop me. I could also *gasp* work longer hours at my day job. Holding 1 extra therapy session a day between now and the end of the school year would be enough to cover boat and pilot fees, the most expensive part of the trip. But, as convenient as it is to use finances as an excuse, I have to be honest with myself. Even if I won the lotto tomorrow, I still would not do the channel. Luckily, I've invested nothing but training in preparing for my goal so far, so there's little to lose by backing out at this point.


2) I'm not handling the cold well. While I'm fine when the mercury is above 60, as soon as it hits 59 I begin to suffer, even during swims as short as 1 hr. Temperatures in the channel typically range between 58-62, but can dip down further in cold patches. I worry about becoming hypothermic, especially when I am exhausted from hours of swimming. Boxing has made me lean, as least for a cold water swimmer. Perhaps I no longer have the insulation to handle the cold. My mom was very lean when she swam the channel, but her stroke count was over 90 strokes a minute. I swim at a similar speed, but my stroke count is only about 55 strokes/min. I don't have the turnover speed to generate as much heat as my mom did. But, as with issue #1, if this were my main concern, I would not let it stop me. Continuing to cold water train through the winter would help. I could also wait until after nationals and then spend some quality time with my buddies Ben and Jerry. An extra 10 lbs of insulation would goal long way towards keeping me warm. But this brings me to the real issue...


3) My heart just is not in it. I'm swimming faster that I have since high school and I don't want to give that up. The thought of doing 6 hour training swims fills me with thick dread. I am a distance swimmer, but I'm not the endurance machine that my mom is. Doing super long swims breaks me down and this takes me a long time to recover from. I don't like the cold and I hate swimming alone. I've been swimming about 25,000 -30,000 yards a week, but to get ready for the channel, I would need to swim about 50,000 yds a week. To build up to that kind of yardage, I would need to give up a lot - time, speed, sanity, and other activities I love, such as boxing. It just isn't worth it. I'm much more excited about other things - USMS nationals, next year's open water season, maybe one day learning to spar and box in the ring.


I want to thank everyone who has helped and supported me in pursuit of my goal. I couldn't have come this far without so much support from my family and teammates. Really, without you guys I would have given up after week 1! I can't say that I regret my decision to attempt to swim the channel. It's been a good year and I'm glad to be back in good swimming shape. One day, I might decide to attempt the channel again - probably when I am 45 years old and in the midst of a midlife crisis. If I do, I will go into it with a very real understanding of the kind of commitment it takes to pursue this goal.


I plan to continue blogging, but maybe should find a new name for this blog. Any ideas??


6 comments:

  1. Kimberdoo!!! Dat sounds like very sound reasoning and if you're having fun and feeling good, why ruin it AND go broke! Totally not worth it.

    You can now rename your blog and put pictures of the family members on the sidebar (not necessarily you and Jason, but definitely Daisy, Sneakers and Yogi!!!)

    As for new names... Hmmmmm... so many...

    "Staying Fit, with sugar on top"

    "Yogi with Sneakers in a field of Daisy"

    Love,
    da Auntidoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the Auntidoo completely. Just think of the fun trips you could take and do swims that are fun without so much waiting around. You look great, you feel good, and you are having fun. I wouldn't want it any other way. It is always good to reevaluate goals and to look into your heart to see what is best for you.
    I can't wait to visit you, Jason and the babies this weekend. It will be the pre Christmas extravaganza that we deserve.
    Thank God that you aren't going to drag me into the frigid quarry again!!!!
    da mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim... I hope you will still consider swimming around Key West in June, 2010. I have enjoyed all your entries in your blog and I know the feeling of not having the fun in swimming that far in cold water, it is one of the reasons I abandoned the idea also. You have trained long, hard and with the heart of a winner and it has shown in your recent swims!

    I hope you let us know your new blog name so we can follow you to your new goal!!

    Take care....

    Russell Harbach
    http://rts-09.blogspot.com
    http://swim-around-key-west.blogspot.com
    http://bridge-to-bridge-swim.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand you. I swim about 30 kms a week in a pool and that is enough also mentally for me.... But please continue your blog! i enjoy it a lot!
    Marlene from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hope you don't stop blogging kim! i've enjoyed reading all about your swimming adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great decision. Only do things that are truly in your heart so that you can enjoy life to the fullest. I have just discovered your blog and have for the past two hours been reading every post and from a readers point of view I can tell you that you are truly having fun right now with your increased speed. I know your turmoil as I too had to make a decision after training for distance and rediscovering the fun of short speed pool meets. You have made the right choice to have fun in life! I still love distance and look to do Swim around key west in 2010. Hope to see you there. Look me up on twitter. http://twitter.com/ManuelRdgz

    ReplyDelete